Saturday, October 29, 2011

Expect the Unexpected


First day of stretch and warm-up practice in Phnom Penh

When I came to Cambodia I 
came with a heart to serve saying to the Lord “I’ll do whatever You ask me to and go wherever You ask me to.” I had ideas of what that would look like, but the one thing I didn’t expect was to be coordinating 40+ Samaritan’s Purse Cambodia staff to run in a half marathon / 10K.

After Tricia and I had been in Cambodia for a month we recognized the need for exercise, but didn’t have many alternatives. It is hot and humid here and after a full day of work you don’t feel like getting out in the muggy climate to make a trip somewhere to exercise. And, I guess I should mention that quality exercise facilities are not readily available. I was looking for options for staying healthy, but wasn’t prepared for what God had in mind.

One day I read an inspiring story of an SP staff member in Liberia who encouraged the staff in her country to run a marathon with Team Samaritan’s Purse. I was touched by the story and told our Country Director about it. The next day he came and asked if I would organize a run for the SP Cambodia staff. I have ministered to people in many different ways and spent much of my time developing leaders, but had never inspired anyone to run in a half marathon or 10K, especially myself. The last time I had run long distance (2 miles was long distance for me) was on dirt road course during high school. My idea of maintaining my health in Cambodia had not included getting up at 5:30am every morning to run before work. It appears God had other ideas.

I took on the challenge and our staff is going to run in the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon in Siem Reap, Cambodia on December 4th. I began travelling and communicating with our country offices about joining in the race. Cambodian’s are amazing people who work extremely hard, but running long distance is not a common sport here. My initial expectations were that 20 to 25 people would join in the race. As I talked with the staff about the race several themes began to emerge. The staff saw this as an opportunity, not just to get healthy, but for the country staff from all different offices to be together showing their unity and love for one another and for Cambodia. It was seen as an opportunity to have fun together, an opportunity as a group to be a witness to the love of Christ for the nation of Cambodia, and as an opportunity to tell the world Cambodia’s story and raise funds through Team Samaritan’s Purse for all the projects we are involved in. We even set up a website for people, civic groups and churches to hear the story and support us in our run:

Read our story and see how you can help!

Poipet staff and friends at a recent run


I was blown away by the amazing response. On registration day 44 of our staff, from every SP field office in Cambodia, registered to run. That morning our Asia Regional Director, Kerry Dodson, was with us in Phnom Penh. She delivered the devotional for the day. Her scripture reference was:

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:1-2 ESV)

This timely devotional reminded us all of the Christian value of perseverance, reminded us that the world is watching us run our “race” and challenged each of us to keep Jesus at the center of all we do. 

Once again I am reminded God will call us to do the unexpected, so He can do more through us than we could ever expect!

No comments:

Post a Comment