Friday, January 8, 2021

 


I am upset and prayerful.  This post is not about the people or building in the photo, but about the person behind the camera. 

Not too long ago my family had a unique opportunity to be on the Capitol steps in the early night when noone else was there. We were standing on the same spot where the first rioters broke through this week. As we were standing there talking, admiring the Capitol and all it's meaning, a Capitol policeman from the First Responder Unit came over and engaged our family in great conversation. He thanked us for coming. Talked about the Capitol and his long career guarding the Capitol prayerfully. He shared about his faith. Since there obviously weren't any tours at the time, he pointed out significant aspects of the Capitol. He took us to the spot where inaugurations take place ad described what it tis like to be there.  He didn't need to do any of these things, but he did. He took time and showed care. He envisioned our kids for something greater than ourselves.

I'm imagining this incredible man of kindness, integrity and service on the day of the riot and what he must have gone through.  Today, he's mourning the loss of one of his very own unit, who died as a result of the riot.  His boss has been forced to resign. The symbolic building where he so reverently serves has been desecrated.

I wish I could say "Shut up" loud enough that people on BOTH sides of the ideological spectrums would listen, but that's not possible. They are already bickering again and desecrating anew the very house they swore to serve. Good people like this policeman got hurt, and will continue to if the nonsense continues.

What I can do is say to the Capitol policeman who offered to take our photo, is that I'm sorry this happened to you. I can treat others the way he treated my family on that special night. I can pray. Would you join me in prayer for him and those who serve with him?

"if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land" 2 Chronicles 7:14








No comments:

Post a Comment