Tuesday, April 3, 2012

From a Mom’s Perspective

Cambodian Suburban

I wanted to stop for a moment to just share our family’s week from a mother’s perspective.

When we returned from Thailand for our visa renewals, four out of five of us came down with “Montezuma’s Revenge” as we call it in Texas.  We recovered from that illness, then Kyler, began running a 102 fever during the night after we returned. Although I am a registered nurse with an emergency room background, my reasoning goes out the window when my children are ill.  I wasn’t sure what was causing his fever which catapults the situation to a much more serious position….malaria, dengue fever.  I began praying asking for peace and wisdom from God for what action to take next. 

In the US, I knew that at any moment I could pick up the phone and called Dr. Wiley.  Or, I could walk into any hospital and Kyler would receive whatever high quality emergency medical care he needed. But here in Cambodia, the situation is completely different.  We are living in a developing country where hospitals are operating at a very basic level. High quality pediatric emergency services are non-existent. These are the moments that are difficult for me.  Wayne and I watched Kyler closely throughout the night, and praise God he slowly improved over the next couple of days.

Wayne and I received a designated financial blessing earlier in the year giving us the opportunity to upgrade from pedal bikes to motorcycles.  Wayne purchased a “new to us” motorcycle on Friday.  I chuckled this week just thinking of how we have integrated into Cambodian lifestyle by trading our  red 4X4 Ford extended cab family pickup in Texas to a red 125cc family motorcycle. Not the most glamorous or comfortable lifestyle, but wouldn’t trade this experience for the world. And yes, we promise that we will all wear our helmets!
Hester version of the priestly garments

I was really proud of Micah this week. In Christian Perspectives at school, his class is studying the Tabernacle of David.  Micah’s assignment was to recreate the priestly garment.  He spent quite some time researching the attire. Smiling from ear to ear, he proudly announced to us that the entire class clapped for him as he gave his presentation.  Micah is happy at school which brings so much peace to me on the inside that we are at the right place for our family.  He still has moments when his Autism creates challenges, but he is thriving so well at this international Christian school.

My week ended by helping a close Cambodian friend of ours.  Her 3 year old son needed a simple surgery which in the US would have been done at birth.  It’s was quite a simple surgical procedure, but untreated her son could eventually become septic causing his kidneys to fail.  I am happy that God brought this little boys need to our attention and now he's healthier than ever.   I also had to stop and ponder my gratefulness to God to have been blessed to be born in one of the greatest countries in the world with access to an amazing health care system.

Thank you God for the health of my family while we are on this journey in Cambodia. Please continue praying for our family as we process through these difficult times and celebrate with us in our times of joy;  only through God’s  grace we will continue our calling here…….for we don’t know what tomorrow will bring. 

Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment