Monday, April 16, 2012

When You Are Out Of Options

Andong Slum just outside Phnom Penh

I am daily reminded how many safety nets I have and how many more I used to have. I have come to realize I relied much more on resources available to me in my everyday life instead of a reliance on God. In some ways this is not a bad thing given that God has provided many of those resources and provided us with the wisdom to use them. The real lesson I have learned in Cambodia is about what I do and where I go when I am out of those natural options.

Very soon after we arrived in Cambodia we were faced with a dilemma that has stuck in my mind and is a signpost for me to keep my faith and life focused in the right direction. We were having dinner in the home of a new friend. At the end of dinner we had a time of prayer and he asked us to pray for one of his Cambodian friends. The man had a motorcycle accident and had a head injury. Fortunately, he was transported to the hospital in the capitol city and received basic care. He had swelling in his head and was in a coma. His family sold many of their personal possessions to get him to the hospital to receive emergency care. After a couple of days the family ran out of money. In Cambodia the medical system has very limited resources and cannot offer free medical care. The doctors told the family if he did not start waking up the next morning or if they did not pay the $100 per day fee the hospital would have to release him and the family would have to take him home with no medical care.

The family was out of options. Our friend was telling us the story during the prayer time. My natural reaction was to consider how I could get the $100 per day the family needed. Then I realized I was personally waiting on a bank transfer and wouldn’t have access to any funds for at least two days. After thinking a moment I too realized since we were in Cambodia we didn’t have options to help. It was at that moment I was filled with both faith and conviction. Our “only” option was to pray for him to wake up the following morning and I was immediately convicted because this should have been my first and the best option.  I asked the group to agree with me in prayer the man would wake up the next morning. The next morning I received an excited phone call saying, to the doctors’ surprise, the man had come out of his coma just before the doctors arrived.  I had the privilege of going the hospital the next day to visit with the man and his family and witness an amazing recovery. 
In the village of Kampong Pluch during the floods.
Many families were displaced. 

Time and time again in Cambodia I have seen people out of options and seen God do the miraculous. I recently read a report that showed 20% of Cambodian Christians said they came to Christ after seeing a visible miracle take place in their life or someone close to them. While I in no way feel that Cambodia’s current situation is God’s best for the people who live here, I have seen when people have few options they most often search for God and His help. Being a loving Father He answers and as a result this country is ripe for harvest. In the midst of hardship and the most difficult of circumstances people are accepting Christ and the church continues to grow. The majority of pastors in Cambodia have at most a primary education. It’s not biblical knowledge people are searching for, but relationship with the Living God.

If you find yourself in a place where you feel you are out of options (or better yet as your first option), try following Dr. Dean’s advice:

Go to the source of truth. Go to God in prayer, in His Word or to someone you know who is the “real” deal. Not to your credit card, google or gossiping girlfriends.

Submit to God's directives by faith. The bible is filled with stories of the miraculous. Too often we focus on the miracle and not on the point of the stories. It was the acts of obedience and trust in God by those who received.

Trust God's perfect provision and timing. Ephesians 6:13  “Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.”

Simply put. When we are out of options, God isn’t. 

No comments:

Post a Comment