Monday, December 30, 2013

Journey with a Cake - Part 1 What have I gotten myself into?


As a pastor and friend over the years I have been asked to do lots of things, weddings, funerals, baby dedications and all the other “normal” pastoral opportunities. But this request was definitely a new one to add to the books.

When two dear friends asked if I would perform their wedding ceremony I was extremely honored. I quickly agreed and began hearing the details of the wedding. Then…………the bride ducked her head, batted her eyes and added in her sweetest voice. “We have one more little request.”

“We’d like to ask you to transport our wedding cake to the wedding.”  Now most people when they read this will say, “No big deal, it’s just taking a wedding cake from one place in town to another”. The problem with this is: No. 1, the only vehicle I own is a motorcycle. No 2. The wedding cake is being made in Cambodia and No 3. The wedding is in England!!!

As the story has unfolded I thought it would be a story I couldn’t just keep to myself, so I hope you enjoy me sharing my journey in the next couple of blogs. I guess you can tell, with great fear and trembling,  I said yes. In some ways I’m writing this blog so I don’t feel so alone as I nervously carry this cake through airports, x-rays, customs and airplanes on a 2 ½ day journey with the cake. Considering I can’t carry a piece of paper from the printer to my desk without wrinkling it or spilling something on it I’m terrified about carrying this cake.
Journey with a cake - Phnom Penh, Cambodia to Doha, Qatar to London, England to Nottingham
Where It All Started


One year ago I was eating dinner with a group of Australians and some colleagues from two different organizations I work with. Two of my colleagues, and friends, were sitting across the table from me. These two were always very professional, so when I happened to look down at the floor during dinner what I saw shocked me. It was at that moment I realized these two were now dating. I later learned that evening the two had started dating just a few days earlier, just after Christmas.  

These two are amazing young people. They both live and work to help others, especially in seeing marginalized or exploited communities find life and restoration. Now a year later they are getting married.

The Wedding and The Cake

So I’ve already said I have to carry this cake to England, but not just anywhere in England. I’m carrying it to Nottingham, just on the edge of Sherwood Forest. If you think this starting to sound like something from a storybook, wait til you read the continuation of the story. And the Cake itself has an amazing story. Wait til you hear why it’s being made in Cambodia and why all this work! Check back tomorrow when I go to pick up the cake and start the journey. 

And oh yeah, you may just want to follow along to see if I can actually make it there with the cake in one piece ( or something close to that)!

1 comment:

  1. oh.my.goodness. i was snorting with laughter reading this post aloud to andrew. i'm so glad you are blogging your cake journey. we are waiting with anticipation for the outcome and a photo of the cake in its final state!

    ReplyDelete