Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Cake - Part 3 - We are on our way!


Well, we made it through airport security in Phnom Penh. Of course, I had to stop and open the box. When I did, all of security stopped and all the security people had to come over and check out the cake. One guy broke out into a chorus of Happy, Happy Birthday!


Then it was onto the plane. The handmade case was the perfect size for the overhead and was made just right to protect the cake.

We had a great flight, but had to stop in Ho Chi Minh City to pick up more passengers. This cake will have been in four countries: Cambodia, Vietnam, Qatar and England. It's a well travelled case.  While we were boarding more passengers in Vietnam we celebrated New Year's. The happy couple had a glass of Champaigne to celebrate.

Celebrating the New Year with a glass of bubbly!
Then it was on to Doha. We've arrived with no incident!!! The stewardesses have been great. Of course they are curious about this guy carrying a styrofoam case with FRAGILE on it. But I think they could tell from my demeanor and good looks that I'm a caring guy so they weren't worried, just curious. So when they finally asked what was in it and I told them a wedding cake they all gave out an "Aaahhhhh!" in unison.


Now the airport in Doha has been a different story. You wouldn't believe the looks you get when you walk around with a big container like this. People look at you nervously or with a strange look. I know they are wondering, "Is that a bomb, or maybe human organs, or is this some guy with a weird diet and has to carry all his food with him." Not sure what they are thinking, but getting a little self-conscious with hundreds of people looking at me as I walk by.

Well, the plane to England is boarding, so I'll update when we make it to England. So far, so good! I hope Robin Hood and Little John are waiting there to take me on to Sherwood Forest!

No comments:

Post a Comment