Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Cake – Part 2 Picking up the Cake – the Journey begins

Now most people after reading yesterday’s blog will have two big questions:

1. Why? Why in the world buy a wedding cake in Cambodia when you could have one made in England?
2. How are you going to get a wedding cake from Cambodia to England?

These are two great questions! I’ll do my best to answer both.

Why? Why in the world buy a wedding cake in Cambodia when you could have one made in England?

First of all here is the cake! I picked it up this afternoon and will take it with me on the 10:40pm flight tonight from Phnom Penh to a short layover in Doha, Qatar. Aren't the red-headed groom and brunette bride cute? Nobody told me this was going to have an icing topper! My chances of this thing arriving in England like it is supposed to just took a serious nosedive. I hope the bride doesn't melt!

The cake is obviously beautiful! Bloom is known all over Cambodia for it’s designer cakes, even preparing cakes for royalty. And, I happen to know from experience that Bloom cakes are by far the best tasting cakes in all of Cambodia.  Now you may still be asking the question “While Bloom may have the best cakes in all of Cambodia, doesn’t England have places that make cakes of similar quality?”
Inside the shop

What makes Bloom cakes special is not simply the cakes, but who makes the cakes and why Bloom makes cakes in the first place. You see I mentioned the couple getting married has spent their lives serving others in marginalized, exploited and vulnerable communities. They have worked to help people find restoration, both physically and spiritually. To help people walk in their rightful dignity and value.  This is the very mission of Bloom Training CentresBloomAsia Training Centres assist and empower vulnerable young women through vocational training and employment.
Outside of Bloom - The coconut salesman
wanted to be in the photo.

This is why the cake is making the long journey. The couple want even the choice of their wedding cake to be one symbolizing the values they live their lives by. When I see this level of conviction commitment to values I’m inspired.
The next time you or I buy something lets ask ourselves: “Why am I buying it here?” “Are the people I’m buying from ethical and are they helping or hurting others in their business practices?”

Stay tuned to see the cake in England! Now, how am I getting it there, you ask?

How am I going to get a wedding cake from Cambodia to England?

The family of the groom specially designed this cake carrier. Large enough for the cake, but just right to be a “carry-on” on the plane. The owner of  Bloom assured us she has carried cakes to other countries via airlines before. ( I told you these cakes are good!).

I’ll take the cake in this “cake carrier” to the airport tonight and once I clear customs I’ll seal it up for the journey. For the 20+ hours I’m in transit through Doha, Qatar to London and then onto Nottingham the cake will be within arms length.

Now I’m really nervous! The cake is in it’s special carrier, but it’s the guy carrying the carrier, I’m worried about! I'm actually having a hard time putting the lid on with those two little faces staring up at me.

The cake starts the first leg of the
journey in a Tuk-Tuk.
I’ll post again tonight after I’ve cleared security. Now how do I explain in Khmer why I’m carrying a cake on a plane? Hope the airport security guards aren’t hungry tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment